Source code based transparent & autonomous GNU/Linux infrastructure
What is it?
Umvirt Linux from Scratch (ULFS) is the complex solution to build and run autonomous open-source infrasructure.
- ULFSTOOL is the service to install packages in Linux from Scratch (LFS) base image.
- ULFSREPO is the sample repository which installs packages via ULFSTOOL.
- ULFSVM is the sample QEMU virtual machine (VM) which was built from LFS base image to install packages from ULFSREPO.
- ULFSDEMOVM is the ULFSVM tuned to run in Oracle VirtualBox hypervisor.
- ULFSPC is the ULFSVM which was installed on real hardware.
Distrib code which is not placed in source packages licensed under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 3, 29 June 2007
Source packages license information can be found on source packages files.
- Autonomous compilation without Internet connection on Earth, ISS, outer space & in future.
- Autonomous compilation without grid electricity.
- Compilation proccess benchmarking.
- Self-compilation. Next versions should be compiled inside current versions.
- Lower repository size comparing to binary distro.
- Studying compilation and patching process.
- Full compilation proccess transperence.
- Built-in QEMU/KVM/Virtio virtualization support.
- Live CD/DVD.
- Single administrator (root without password) before installing sudo source package.
- Console & Xorg. Desktop Environments: TWM, LXDE, Mate.
- Multiple Linux Kernels support. You can use kernels from other distros.
- Architectures: x86, amd64 (x86_64).
- Static & DHCP IPv4 network.
- No firewall (usage behind the NAT, offline), iptables, firewalld.
- Xorg I18n support (keyboard layout switching, utf8 locales, fonts).
- Package Service.
- Assistant Service.
- 800+ source packages.
Solved LFS/BLFS Bugs
We found that Manual source packages compilation which listed LFS/BLFS can lead to errors:
- Opcodes problem can occure in AMD processors if libffi was compiled
with "--with-gcc-arch=native" parameter on Intel Xeon proccessor. Recompilation with
parameter "--with-gcc-arch=x86-64" is required before installing packages.
- Some packages don't support multithreading. It should be compiled in one thread.
- Rust compiler source package is not self complete. It try to download extra data from internet.
Such behaviour is make it useless without Inernet connection.
We make hard decission to ignore Rust and all packages that use it as dependance: Gnome Session, Mate Session, Firefox, Thunderbird.
Hardware requirements for compilation:
- Type: QEMU virtual machine with KVM-acceleration
- CPU: at least 4 x 3Ghz
- RAM: at least 4 GB (regular packages) 8GB (qt5webengine)
- SWAP: at least 4GB
- HDD/SDD: 30Gb
Source Package Manager Service
UmVirt Linux From Scratch allow perform automatic packages compilation and installition via packages service.
To compile and install "Midnight Commander" package with all dependances from Web-server (On-Line mode) manually type:
wget --no-check-cerificate \
-O - | bash
To compile and install "Midnight Commander" package with all dependances from disk (Off-Line mode) prepeare and mount off-line disk then manually type:
cat /mnt/umvirt/packages/0.1/mc.sh | bash
Main purpose of "UmVirt LFS Assistant" service is running various comands inside operating system. Commands stored not in application or script file but in remote database.
To compile and install "Midnight Commander" package with all dependances via assistant just type:
chimp install mc
Off-line data directory
Some data is not provided in source packages and located on different Web-sites. This directory contain a small portion of this data.
© 2020 UmVirt.Com Development Team. All rights reserved.