RetroGamer is free access temporary QEMU Virtual Machine with SPICE additions for remote playing old games that not use 3d-acceleration.
Also RetroGamer can be used for:
- studying Debian GNU/Linux Desktop operating system & applications.
- studying Spiced Virtual Machine working skills from smartphones & laptops.
- stydying foreign laguages when playing games.
- running multimedia software
- running cryptocurrency CPU-miners
- reducing disk space usage for storing games data.
- USB-device redirection support (mouse, keyboards, gamepads, various drives)
- Seamless clipboard interaction
- Virtual machine screen resolution optimization
- Sound playing
- Drag & drop files
- Streaming video
- Shared filesystem with shareware & demo versions of retro games
- SSH-like TCP-port forwarding (only FlexVDI GTK spice-client feature)
- Websockets support (connect from browsers)
- Low disk space usage. You don't need to store unpacked data of your games on your client devices.
- Low storage space usage. You don't need to store games collection at your bag on travel. Store it on clouds.
- Lower power consumption. Play from the solar charged battery at night and in cloudy & rainy days.
- Mobility. Play everywhere where proper quality Internet access exists.
- Silence. Play without cooling fans noise when tablets & smartphones are used.
- Upload. Upload your files & play.
- Full root access. You can tune virtual machine as you want.
- All resources access. You can use 100% of all available resources.
- Single connection. New connection broke previous connection
- High latency sensibility. Playing action games is so difficult when big lags appear.
- Low quality connection sensibility. Playing action games is so difficult when short connection interrupts appear due interference.
- No hardware 3d-acceleration. Only CPU calculations and rendering.
- No Internet access in virtual machine from server side. You can share your Internet access due to SSH-like port forwarding in couple with proxy-server or vpn-server.
- No VM control (start, stop, reset).
How to connect?
You can use spice clients:
- CPU: Intel x86 (32-bit)
- RAM: 1024 MB
- VGA: Red Hat QXL
- HDD: 20GB
- FCEUX - Run Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) 8-bit console ROMs
- Xspect - Run Sinclair ZX-Spectrum tapes (almost full retro experience)
- ScummVm - Run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games.
- DosBox - Run FreeDos compatible games
- Wine - Run Windows 9x games
- CDemu - CD-Rom emulation
- 7-zip - extractor for various archives
- Midnight Commander - File Manager for Debian Linux ("mc" command in "LXterm")
- Dos Navigator - File manager for Dos ("dn\dn" command in "DosBox")
- user - retrogamer (sudo enabled)
- root - retrogamer
Improving your game experience
You can improve your game experience using following software:
- QJoyPad - Run qjoypad to play old keyboard games using gamepads.
- glxgears - Run glxgears demo to check connection. If gears moving smoothly your connection is suitable for good gaming experience.
- Quake 3 Engine lagometer - Use our public Urban Terror game server to check your ping and connection quality with Quake 3 Engine lagometer.
- Server location: USA, Los Angeles
- Client location: Only Earth planet & ISS
- Reservation reset: Every 2 hours (PDT timezone)
- Firewall: Enabled
- IP-binding: Yes (IPv4)
Follow this link to check virtual machine reservation. May be virtual machine not reserved and you can get access!
Warning: Firewall is Enabled. Access to virtual machine will be restricted only for your current global Internet address. Access to virtual machine from different devices within your wired/wireless LAN is also allowed if they share one global Internet address.
When you reserve virtulal machine follow this link to check access through firewall.